Printing over the
wood grain background,
I was pleased with the results of printing a wood grain onto dry paper using the moku hanga method. Enough of the grain printed to create a nice pattern but not as a solid color. Now to print the line drawing over it as a silkscreen.
I had created the line drawings on a mylar sheet and then transferred those to the silkscreens. With the drawing on the screen aligned to the page, I was ready to print.
I proofed the drawing using a brown color I had mixed from another image. I wasn't totally pleased with the color as I wanted it have a little more punch. I adjusted the mix by adding some Golden Silkscreen Medium which I use as my ink base. I then added a few drops of green and blue Mixol Universal Pigments to darken the mix.
The color mix ended up a touch too dark, so I added some more of the silkscreen medium to lighten it. Think of a watercolor mix which when you add more water, it lightens.
So now the work begins as I print enough for the entire book edition. The only thing that printed this time was the line drawing, all the type was previously printed.